Impact Gameworks’ lovingly-crafted roguelike Tangledeep has launched on Nintendo Switch.
Inspired by classic SNES-era RPGs, Tangledeep delivers detailed, stunningly-beautiful pixel art, an epic soundtrack, and 100+ hours of gameplay to both roguelike aficionados and those who are new to the genre. Players can also plant magic trees, customize their equipment with the unique “Item Dream” system – and capture and tame any of the game’s 50+ monsters as companions.
Combining the tactical, turn-based gameplay of traditional roguelikes with a deep job system and highly-customizable equipment, Tangledeep appeals to RPG, strategy, and roguelike lovers of all ages. In addition to the 16-bit style pixel art, the soundtrack features the musical talents of Hiroki Kikuta (Secret of Mana), Grant Kirkhope (GoldenEye 007, Civilization: Beyond Earth), Norihiko Hibino (Metal Gear Solid 3, Bayonetta), and Andrew Aversa – the developer behind Tangledeep known as “zircon” on OverClocked Remix and composer of several high-profile soundtracks such as Soul Calibur V, ReCore, and Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix.
Tangledeep’s robust and customizable job system features 12 unique jobs and more than 100 skills to master. The game also supports a number of features designed to give adventurers the perfect level of difficulty. For example, players can opt for the true roguelike challenge of permadeath – or simply return to town upon death. It’s also possible to share progress between characters by using the banking system.
The Switch version of Tangledeep is available in English, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese. It also includes:
- Improved UI and support for the Pro Controller, along with handheld and docked modes
- All-new monsters (such as the fearsome Polarattler)
- New area: Riverstone Waterway
“Tangledeep is a roguelike for purists and newcomers alike. If you’re into permadeath and narrow escapes, you’ll be thrilled. At the same time, if you’ve never played a roguelike in your life, you can avoid permadeath altogether while exploring, looting, and facing monsters floor after floor. I made Tangledeep to celebrate my love for classic 16-bit SNES RPGs – not only in terms of pixel art, but also the music that sounded so incredible and that is still beloved by millions today. I’m so happy that my game is finally coming to the Switch – and that it includes music from some of the greatest game composers ever!”
– Andrew Aversa (Lead Developer, Impact Gameworks)
- Experience finely-tuned, procedurally-generated and handcrafted gameplay as you fight challenging monsters, complete quests, and collect rare items.
- Master deep, tactical turn-based combat across 12 unique jobs with over 100 skills.
- Choose between 3 game modes:
- Heroic Mode – Defeat is not the end! Some progress and items can be shared between characters.
- Hardcore Mode – The traditional roguelike experience! If you are defeated, the game ends.
- Adventure Mode – Play without the fear of permadeath in traditional RPG style.
- Capture almost every monster in the game and raise each of them as a pet in the Monster Corral – or breed them with other monsters!
- Make your experience easier, harder, or just plain wackier with more than 10 Game Modifiers.
- Share some of your progress between characters by using the banking system and planting magic trees.
- Explore Item Dreams – randomized mini-dungeons where anything goes – and power up your gear!
- Take in the scenery – comprised of breathtaking 16-bit graphics and carefully handcrafted maps.
- Relax to a beautiful soundtrack inspired by the most legendary RPGs of the SNES era, composed by award-winning composer Andrew Aversa – and joined by Hiroki Kikuta (Secret of Mana), Grant Kirkhope (GoldenEye 007, Civilization: Beyond Earth), and Norihiko Hibino (Metal Gear Solid 3, Bayonetta).
- Participate in daily and weekly challenge runs – and use Leaderboard support to compare results with your friends!
Tangledeep is now available on the Nintendo Switch eShop worldwide:
- $19.99 USD
- €17 EURO
- $26.25 AUD
- $29 NZD
Steam / $14.99
GOG.com / $14.99