Fans are eagerly anticipating GameFreak’s upcoming mainline Pokemon title that’s currently in development for the Nintendo Switch. And if sources from PokeJungle are to be believed, we could have our first details about the game:
- The Chinese localization team has already finished translating the games’ script
- There will be no new Mega Evolutions introduced in the new games
- Z-Moves return and now use motion control to activate using the Joy-Cons
- Central plot revolves around the conflict between tradition and innovation
- Region inspiration has been rumored to be Spain or Italy
- Release to come late 2018 (~December) or early 2019
- New, simplified battle system; similar to Bandai Namco’s Digimon World (with it’s real time, auto-attack system) and even the Pokemon fighting game spinoff by Bamco, Pokken Tournament (employing a rock-paper-scissors style attack/grab/block system)
While most of those points are fine, the last one has us worried. Throwing the traditional battle system out of the window in favor of something entirely new will definitely hurt the competitive Pokemon battling scene as well as turn off fans.
But again, these are just rumors at this point, so let’s wait for concrete details before reaching a conclusion.