We let you know back in August that a new DLC pack is on the horizon for Firaxis’ acclaimed strategy game XCOM 2. Turns out that the DLC titled The Tactical Legacy Pack will bridge the gap between XCOM: Enemy Unknown and XCOM 2, focusing on the rise of the resistance following the bad ending of Enemy Unknown.
Celebrating the 6 year anniversary of XCOM, The DLC pack includes new modes, maps, weapons, and armour – all designed to “honour the legacy of the XCOM series”. The Legacy Ops mini-campaign features reimagined maps, weapons and armour from Enemy Unknown, which releases on October 9. The reimagined weapons and armour pieces you unlock in the Legacy Ops campaign will be available in the main War of the Chosen campaign, and assets from the reimagined maps will appear in War of the Chosen’s procedurally generated battlefields
It will be free to all XCOM 2: War of the Chosen players for the following eight weeks. After the free period is up, players will be able to buy it for $7.99/£6.49. You need to own XCOM 2 and War of the Chosen to enjoy the DLC.
The DLC pack includes the following:
- Four sequential tactical mission covering the period between the end of the Enemy Unknown campaign and the beginning of XCOM: War of the Chosen.
- The missions are relayed to you by Central Officer Bradley, recounting the rise of the resistance. The missions are described by Firaxis as follows…
- Blast from the Past—”After the fall of XCOM HQ, Central Officer Bradford begins his journey to build the resistance by returning to where it all began.”
- It Came from the Sea—”The broadcast of a fledgeling radio DJ is reaching an audience he didn’t intend. It’s up to Central to save the DJ from an endless horde of hungry listeners.”
- Avenger Assemble—”Join Lily Shen as she works to retrofit the Avenger into a new home for the growing forces of a reinvigorated XCOM.
- The Lazarus Project—”ADVENT is kidnapping key members of the resistance, and it’s up to Central to rescue some of XCOM’s most renowned operatives.”
- Completing these missions unlocks reimagined versions of XCOM: Enemy Unknown armour and weapons in War of the Chosen campaigns.
- A seven-mission gauntlet made out of procedurally generated maps.
- Soldiers gain new abilities and better equipment and enemies grow stronger from mission to mission.
- Designed to act as a short XCOM campaign. “By the end, you’ll be in the highest tier armor and weapons fighting Gatekeepers, Sectopods, and more.”
- Create your own missions by setting squad loadouts, abilities, and enemies.
- You can create a save file of the started mission and share with friends.
Weapons, armour, maps
- Legacy Ops unlocks Enemy Unknown armour and weapons for use in War of the Chosen campaigns.
- The weapons and armour have been remodelled to look more weathered, as though they’ve seen battle in the Enemy Unknown campaign.
- Enemy Unknown map assets have been reimagined. Legacy Ops missions take place on bespoke designed maps built using these assets, but they will then populate procedural missions in the main campaign.
- Enemy Unknown gas station confirmed.
- New helmets and attitudes.
- New photobooth backgrounds, colours, character poses.
- Two new soundtrack options: Enemy Unknown, or UFO Defense reimagined.
- All War of the Chosen challenges available for offline play.